SteelSeries makes award-winning, cutting-edge hardware and software products that help PC and Console gamers on their daily quest for glory.
We are looking for a senior firmware engineer with 5-10 years of experience to help develop world class gaming products. We are looking for someone that can make a huge impact on our product development, has experience developing firmware for PC peripherals, and has a serious passion for technology, product development, and gaming.
Why should you work here:
- Love what you do - This isn't some B2B app or SaaS targeted at an industry you have no real interest in. This is a consumer product for gamers and part of the gaming industry. If you are interested in consumer electronics, gaming, or something related - you will love it here.
- Solve interesting technical problems - The software group is fairly small, but versatile. You may be writing firmware or device drivers one day, and SteelSerine Engine code the next.
- Make an impact - We are a small company, so if you like being able to make an impact on a daily basis - this is your place.
- Be part of Product Development - We are a flat organization and everyone has chances to see how consumer electronics products are built and what goes into bringing them to market.
What we are looking for:
- Experience developing with one or more compiled languages (C, C++, Rust, etc.)
- Experience writing firmware on the ARM Cortex-M platform, or other similar embedded platforms
- Experience with GCC and Make
- Experience selecting MCUs and supporting hardware given a set of product requirements
- Working knowledge of the USB HID standard
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
Some nice to haves:
- Experience mentoring software/firmware developers
- Experience writing technical documentation (firmware specs, etc.)
- Experience with Agile development methodologies
- Experience in software best practices like Test Driven Development and Continuous Integration
As a senior firmware engineer, you will be responsible for developing new features for our peripherals (headsets, mice, keyboards, and gamepads) and also our cross platform, consumer gaming software platform, the SteelSeries Engine (www.steelseries.com/engine). We are a small team and we have lots of cool, challenging problems to solve.
If you were here the last few months, you would have worked on:
- Launching the Apex Pro line of keyboards, Rival 650 Wireless, Apex 750 TKL, Stratus Duo and other exciting products
- Assisting in the digital design of our upcoming headset, mouse, keyboard, and controller products
- Vetting new MCU and wireless platforms for new, high-end devices
- Getting trounced in Smash by our very own ToadKing
If you are here the next few months, you will:
- Write bare metal code for upcoming peripherals
- Play with and give feedback on unannounced super secret hardware products coming out next year
- You are smart, inquisitive and can get stuff done
- You want to make a huge impact and love pushing the boundaries of product development
- You take pride in what you do and want to be part of that next great product sitting (hopefully) on the shelf at your local Best Buy
- You’re accustomed to a small company environment including wearing numerous hats and managing several things at any given time
Don’t apply if:
- You require strict organizational structure
- You don’t like change
- You think having autonomy in the work place is a bad thing
We offer competitive pay, great benefits and an awesome work place with people who love gaming and technology.
Sorry, we can’t do any visa sponsorship at this time. This position is located in our office in downtown Chicago.