SteelSeries has fueled the gaming industry by creating innovative new products, designed specifically for esports and passionate gamers everywhere.
We are searching for a Senior Software Engineer to take our software suite, SteelSeries Engine, to the next level. An ideal candidate is a full stack engineer that can make a huge impact on our product development, has experience developing desktop and/or web applications, and has a serious passion for technology, product development, and gaming.
Why should you work here:
- Love what you do - This isn't some B2B app or SaaS targeted at an industry you have no real interest in. This is a consumer product for gamers and part of the gaming industry. If you are interested in consumer electronics, gaming, or something related - you will love it here.
- Learn you a new thing for great good - Our tech stack is about as all-encompassing as they come. From firmware to the front end, from C code device drivers to the cloud, there’s always an interesting technical problem to solve and something new to learn.
- Make an impact - We are a small company, so if you like being able to make an impact on a daily basis - this is your place.
- Be part of Product Development - We are a flat organization and everyone has chances to see how consumer electronics products are built and what goes into bringing them to market.
What we are looking for:
- 7+ years of experience in full stack software engineering
- Experience building user interfaces using the React framework
- Experience designing and building web back ends
- Experience with SQL
- A desire to mentor and elevate fellow engineers
- Eagerness to continuously learn and excel in the craft of software engineering
Some nice to haves:
- Software development experience with Go
- System level development experience using one or more compiled languages (C, C++, Go, Rust, etc.)
- Experience with Lean development methodologies
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for developing new features for our cross-platform, consumer gaming software platform, the SteelSeries Engine (www.steelseries.com/engine). We are a tight-knit team and we have lots of cool, challenging problems to solve.
- Act as a true full stack engineer by architecting and developing software features for both the back end and front end of SteelSeries Engine
- Proactively refactor code to achieve a perpetually clean design that has adequate test coverage
- Evaluate new programming languages, frameworks, and tools and propose when they should be integrated and/or migrated to
- Work across software teams to educate others on best practices for code, test, and documentation quality
If you were here the last few months, you would have worked on:
- Launching a public beta of SteelSeries GG and Moments
- Launching GameSense support for a handful of games including League of Legends
- Launching the Aerox 3, Aerox 3 Wireless, Arctis 7P, Arctis 7X, and the Nimbus+
- Creating a system monitor app to display CPU, GPU, Memory, and Temperature stats on SteelSeries devices with OLED screens
If you are here the next few months, you will:
- Architect and build a UI refresh of SteelSeries Engine
- Get in on the ground floor of a number of other supersecret software initiatives that we recently kicked off
- Continue to innovate and add features to SteelSeries Engine
- Play with and give feedback on unannounced hardware products coming out next year
- You are smart, inquisitive and can get stuff done
- You want to make a huge impact and love pushing the boundaries of product development
- You take pride in what you do and want to be part of that next great product sitting on the shelf at your local Best Buy or passionately talked about on Discord communities
- You’re accustomed to a small company environment including wearing numerous hats and managing several things at any given time
Don’t apply if:
- You require strict organizational structure
- You don’t like change
- You think having autonomy in the work place is a bad thing
We offer competitive pay, great benefits, and an awesome workplace with people who love gaming and technology.
This position is located in our office in downtown Chicago, but remote hires will also be considered. Note, due to COVID-19, we have been operating fully remote since March. The safety and personal health of the SteelSeries family has been a top priority since the beginning of the pandemic. We look forward to the day that we can safely return to the office. But for now, we are taking the utmost precaution as we continue to follow the city, state, and national safety guidelines.
Sorry, we can’t do any visa sponsorship at this time.