SteelSeries makes award-winning, cutting-edge hardware and software products that help gamers on their daily quest for glory. For us, it’s about cutting through all the flash and hype to meet the real needs of gamers. Whether it’s on a console, PC, or your mobile phone, our passionate, talented, and creative team bring to life the gear you need to game at a pro level. Watch this video to learn more about us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sDY6r0VLOA.
As a Senior Front End Developer for the Digital Engineering team, you will be involved in every step of the customer experience on the web. Your code will touch everything from searching for products, to dropping a headset in the cart, to payment processor integration. Our developers take pride in crafting not just great experiences, but also great code. We are humble and eager to learn from each other. We are also gamers :)
We’re looking for people that also take pride in good code and are willing to learn from and teach others. Projects require a strong sense of ownership and a proactive mindset, taking ideas from concept to release. We are a small, fast growing team and we have many cool, challenging problems to solve.
In a typical week, you will:
- Release production code, potentially several times.
- Lead or give input on project architecture, for yours and others’ projects.
- Communicate your progress and blockers with the team daily.
- Mentor other front end developers on the team.
- Work directly with members of other teams to meet project requirements.
- Take courses to further your skill set.
If you were here the last few months, you would have worked on:
- Completely revamped the navigation of SteelSeries.com, along with UX and UI designers, to better support our future plans.
- Diving deep into accessibility, to ensure that the SteelSeries online experience works well for everyone.
If you are here the next few months, you will:
- Integrate our website and ecommerce with our software, SteelSeries Engine, for a richer and more seamless customer experience across our digital platforms.
- Shape new features on SteelSeries.com to support our growth and reach new customers.
- Work on new software and online initiatives that are yet to be announced.
- Play with and give feedback on unannounced super-secret hardware products coming out next year.
- Advanced experience writing clean, modular, and flexible CSS.
- Advanced experience writing accessible, semantic, valid HTML5.
- Experience with frameworks and libraries like React, Redux, Vue or similar.
- Experience working closely with UI and UX designers, as well as other parts of the business.
- Familiarity with scripting languages and MVC frameworks, e.g. Python/Django or Ruby/Rails.
Why you should work here:
- Love what you do - This isn't some B2B app or SaaS targeted at an industry you have no real interest in. We’re a company making products for gamers, and are active participants in the gaming industry. If you are interested in consumer electronics, gaming, or something related, you will love it here.
- Many cool technical problems to solve - Our tech team is small and tightly knit. We work on all kinds of projects, and there’s always a new challenge coming up.
- Make an impact - We are a small company, so if you like being able to make an impact on a daily basis, this is your place.
- Be part of Product Development - Feel strongly about what makes good gaming gear? We’ll listen to you. We are a very open organization and everyone has chances to see how consumer electronics products are built and what goes into bringing them to market.
- You are smart, inquisitive and can get stuff done.
- You want to make a huge impact and love pushing the boundaries of web and product development.
- You are excited about working on, and shaping the development practices of, a small tight-knit team (currently 2 front end developers and 2 back end developers.)
- You take pride in what you do and want to be part of that next great product sitting (hopefully) on the shelf at your local Best Buy.
- You enjoy working in a smaller company, where your opinion matters, and helps guide the projects being worked on.
We offer competitive pay, great benefits, and an awesome workplace, with people who love gaming and technology.
This role will be based at our office in the West Loop, Chicago. Our team is currently working fully remote, due to Covid-19. This means the candidate may begin working remotely. Once the quarantine has ended, we will expect the candidate to work from the office.
We cannot do any visa sponsorship at this time.